Monday, March 29, 2010

Things About Food

Wouldn’t you love to have a meal or 3 you can present to your family that is good for them, tastes great, and even looks good – all prepared by you? And you will know what is in each dish because you put it together. I want to show you how to have that any and every day you wish. You can take it as lightly or as far as you want.

AND guess what? You will spend less money using these tips, so you can KEEP the CASH to spend on other things. Oh the possibilities are endless! I can’t wait to get started.

I spent several years living “on my own” as a young adult in a state where I had not grown up and so, knew very few people for a while. I was accustomed to cooking and eating in large family settings, so the first couple of times I tried to cook for myself, I automatically bought and cooked and wasted a LOT.

Knowing nothing about cooking except to prepare large quantities, I eventually just went on to eating fast food. That lasted for a really long time. Whatever the reason, we all get into a rut of poor eating habits. Whether it be due to a busy schedule, fatigue, boredom, cravings, pressure, or just poor planning, at some point we are not eating like we should.

My path didn’t go very far because I always ended up in the hospital. I am insulin-dependant Diabetic from childhood and therefore, my body cannot handle overloads of poor eating without significant consequences and sometimes, permanent damage. My fast food adventure lasted for a while and I was in and out of the hospital frequently.

In my early 20’s, I just wanted to have fun like the rest of the world, so I tried to ignore my body’s needs for nutrition. To make a long story short, I finally had enough trips to the hospital and decided it wasn’t worth it anymore. Sometimes we get our focus back and sometimes we don’t. There are people who continually make bad choices and never turn around. This is true in all walks of life, but we’ll just stick to food for right now.

I’m not here to tell you that you MUST do it a particular way, but I do want to tell you that if you don’t eat right, your life will less vibrant than it could be. In many cases, poor eating damages and can even kill a person. Wow, this is getting depressing, so I’ll move to the happy side of life.

Ever feel sluggish, tired for no reason? Ever feel distracted and unfocused and can’t seem to concentrate? Ever have aches and pains that seem to have no cause? Ever have stomach aches, headaches, blurred vision? How about stomach and gastric problems? Any of these, all of these? BAM!! Look at what you’re eating. Yeah, yeah, we’ve heard it all before.

Each week I will present a section to focus on food – good and bad. I have 42 years of experience invested into eating and boy, do I have lots of things to say. The best news is that it doesn’t have to be complicated, time-consuming, tasteless, and confusing to eat better. You need to make the move in steps. I plan to cover:

Good foods, bad foods
Yummy substitutes for bad food
Portioning
What to do when you eat badly
Recipes for Life
Meal Planning
Cooking Ahead
Making your own TV Dinners
Desserts and Treats
Cooking for Diabetics
… and more!

Connie