Monday, April 5, 2010

Itty-bitty Change to a Favorite Food

I’ve always been a “do it yourself” kinda gal. I just like to see things put together and love putting them together myself. I like to experiment with adjusting ideas, so I try things all the time and never write them down! I have been trying to stop that because there are times when someone will ask me how I made something (food, clothes, crafts) and I’ll have to recall the event to give the instructions.

So last week, I tried just a little bitty twist on something I eat all the time and loved it. I told some people and they want a recipe or at least measurements, of which I had none. It was just such a simple thing but MAN was it good. So here it is. Remember, this is just a simple (really simple) thing with a twist.

One avocado, smashed into chunks with a fork; add 2 tablespoons of salsa (I like my own homemade salsa but you could use store-bought brands) and celery salt. Yep. Celery. Don’t know how much, just a little. Add just a touch of pepper and spread this onto wheat thins. Munch them while working at your desk and the whole chore at hand brightens up and goes faster.

I’ve had avocado on every bread, rice cake, and cracker imaginable and sometimes just eat them straight from their jackets, but have never put avocado on wheat thins. I really like the blend and the celery salt added just enough change to make it seem brand new. My homemade salsa has tomato sauce, lemon, cilantro and onions (white) in it, so there are the other contributors to the flavor mix. Try it and let me know if you like it.

I love natural foods and eating well, but sweet things are also fabulous to me. I spent years reading every nutritional book in the library (before Al Gore invented internet) and actually know how to measure any mineral or vitamin content you would reasonably want to include in your cooking.

In addition, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am 38 years insulin dependent Diabetic, so my life has been driven by what we used to call dieting. As I learned more and more about nutrition in its broad scale, I determined in my 20’s that eating right is not “dieting,” it is actually just the way we were intended to feed our bodies.

I’ve looked at and participated in different levels to both extremes: total fast food & packaged foods vs. complete natural (make your own honey, make your own bread, juice your own fruits, etc.). I hate to tell you this, but I agree with both!! So how can I lead you in one direction or the other? Here’s the news: I don’t and I won’t suggest to anyone that either is exclusively the way to go. I have a whole section on eating right and not. It is mostly centered around what I've learned from being an insulin-dependent Diabetic for 38 years and having been in the "nutrition" game for almost 4 decades. Be sure to check it out if you are facing a "diet."